Pesto is the Besto!
Here's what's great about pesto: You don't need a recipe, it tastes delicious, and it's fabulous as snack food or fancy meal food. All you really have to do is choose a nut, choose a leaf, choose an oil, add some garlic, salt, pepper, maybe a little cheese and/or some lemon and seriously that's it.
BEST BASIC PESTO RATIO (iMHO)
- 1-2 parts nuts
- 2 parts oil
- 8+ parts leaves
- 2 parts cheese (if you want it)
- Everything else to taste
Want to make it richer? More nuts, cheese, and/or oil. Want to make it lighter? More herbs and lemon. I'm also a fan of leaving out the nuts and cheese all together.
My Favorite Pesto Combos
- Basil, Pine Nuts, Garlic, Olive Oil, Sea Salt
- Kale, Basil, Walnuts, Garlic, Lemon Juice, Olive Oil, Sea Salt, Pepper
- Cilantro, Macadamia Nuts, Garlic, Avocado Oil, Sea Salt
- Mint, Almonds, (teeny bit of) Garlic, Lemon Juice, Sea Salt
- Dill, Cashews, Garlic, Olive Oil, Sea Salt
On My Pesto Bucket List
- Sweet pesto combo with maybe some honey roasted or candied nuts and fruit or dried fruit.
- An arugula or spinach and oregano combo.
- Adding smoked olive oil, smoked nuts or smoked salt.
- Using brazil nuts or hazel nuts in a cilantro pesto.
Do you have a favorite non-traditional pesto recipe you'd like to share? Let us know!